At Gwladys Street, our intent for Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) is to encourge a love and thirst for learning other languages as we firmly believe:
“One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.”‒ Frank Smith, Professor of the psychology of language.
We aim to develop excellent foundations for the understanding of the Spanish language, because Spanish is the main language pupils will go on to study at the majority of High Schools within the area.
It is our intention to ensure that by the end of Year 6, pupils will have acquired an understanding of both spoken and written Spanish, confidence to speak in Spanish with others and a knowledge of Spanish culture.
Gwladys Street Community Primary and Nursery School purchases and annual Service Level Agreement with Liverpool City Council (School Improvement Liverpool).
MFL is delivered through:
- a comprehensive and progressive scheme of work devised by Subject Specialists and native speakers at School Improvement Liverpool. This scheme of work is in line with the statutory National Curriculum (2014);
- weekly teaching sessions (Years 2-6) that are lively, engaging and stimulating;
- a mixture of reading, writing, speaking and listening activities;
- learning opportunities that are focused on the Spanish culture as well as language acquisition;
- Spanish displays that promote the understanding of key vocabulary and support independent writing;
a variety of resources that support learning such as flash cards, word banks, dictionaries and computing equipment.
Our MFL curriculum will ensure all pupils develop key language learning skills in line with National Curriculum requirements (2014).
Our curriculum will ensure pupils are able to:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources in Spanish;
- speak with increasing confidence in Spanish, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation;
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt;
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in Spanish.
Our MFL curriculum will equip our learners with the excellent foundations on which to build their knowledge and understanding of Spanish at Key Stages 3, 4 and beyond.